Merchandising is the department which mediates marketing and production departments. It is the methods, practices, and operations used to promote and sustain certain categories of commercial activity. It includes directing and overseeing the development of product line from start to finish. Marketing and merchandising department: A team of merchandisers and marketers work together under a profit controls head. Merchandisers handle the foreign buyers. The teams are made according to the buyers being handled.
The person who is related in merchandising is called merchandiser. The merchandiser coordinates with the design team to effectively present the product or product line. He or she develops colors and specifications, and performs market research to determine the most effective ways to sell and promote the product. This person needs strong communication and negotiation skills and visual and analytical abilities. He or she also needs to be a creative and innovative thinker.
Types of Merchandising:
Two type of merchandising done in garment exports
- Marketing merchandising.
- Product merchandising.
- Marketing Merchandising: Main function of marketing merchandising is
- Product Development
Ordering marketing merchandising is to bring orders costly products development and it has direct contact with the buyer.
2. Product Merchandising: Product merchandising is done in the unit. This includes all the responsibilities from sourcing to finishing i.e. first sample onwards, the products merchandising work start and ends till shipment.
A Merchandisers key responsibility is as follows:
- Product Development
- Market and product Analysis
- Selling the concept
- Booking orders
- Confirming Deliveries
- Designing and Sampling
- Raw Material
- Flow Monitoring
- Production Follow Ups
- Payments Follows
- Internal & external communication,
- Lab dips
- Accessories & trims
- Preparing internal order sheets
- Preparing purchase orders
- Advising and assisting production,
- Advising quality department about quality level
- Mediating production and quality departments
- Giving shipping instructions and following shipping,
- Helping documentation department
- Taking responsibility for inspections and
- Following up the shipment.
Reference: Textile Learner Blog spot