Prof. Dr. Md Mahbubul Haque, Head, Dept. of Textile Engineering at Daffodil International University, has been recognized as the best professor for his outstanding contribution in Textile Engineering Studies. World Education Congress, CMO Asia and CMO Council, jointly extended the Bangladesh Education Leadership Awards 2019 to Prof Haque at a function held at a hotel in Dhaka on 8th September 2019, said a press release.
Prof. Haque is very well known in the textile community as a distinguished professor in textile engineering education in Bangladesh. He stood first class first in B.Sc. in Textile Engineering from College of Textile Technology now BUTEX in 1986. In 1989, he was awarded British Commonwealth Scholarship to undertake postgraduate research study at the University of Manchester, and received his M.Sc.in 1991 and Ph.D. in 1996. Prof. Haque has been awarded CText FTI by The International Textile Institute, UK. Prof. Haque is also an active in professional activities and was co-opted as Council Member by the Mechanical Engineering Division of The Institution of Engineers Bangladesh (IEB) for 2011-12 session. In 2013, he was elected as council member of the Dhaka Centre of IEB receiving highest number of votes. Textile Focus published his new concept on Lab classes for the first time “A New Concept for Conducting Textile Engineering Lab Classes to maximize individual participation” at Textile Focus: November-December 2018 issue, which was read across the textile community of the country.
Prof. Haque is an educator, thinker, researcher and possess a clear vision for the future of Textile sector of Bangladesh. He made lots of contributions for the Textiles and RMG sector of Bangladesh. Some of his contributions mentioned below-
- Developed original text materials on production of woven labels used in garments. Later the topic was introduced in the curriculum of B.Sc. in Textile Engineering of Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology (AUST) in 2003 and in DIU in 2009.
- Introduced M.Sc. in Textile Engineering in Daffodil International University for the first time in Bangladesh in 2009.
- Developed lecture materials on Denim manufacturing and later introduced topics in the curriculum of AUST in 2004 and DIU in 2009.
- Introduced Technical Textiles in the curriculum of B.Sc. in Textile Engineering at AUST for the first time in Bangladesh in 2004, since then he has been teaching the course.
- Nominated as the editor and was given the responsibility to start a Journal for the Textile Engineering Division of IEB and successfully published the first two issues of the journal.
- Conducted a funded research project on the “Problems of the Export Oriented Weaving sector of Bangladesh” in DIU. The research led to identification of the core problems of textiles and RMG sector of Bangladesh.
- Customized the course content of “Economics for Textile Engineers” from general economics to textile economics.
- Led the department of TE to undertake “Self-Assessment Survey” funded by the World Bank through UGC and obtained “Very Good” grade.
- Led the department of TE, DIU to achieve IEB accreditation which is for the first time for any TE programs in Bangladesh and obtained B grade and the department is now the 6th best engineering program (among all accredited programs) in Bangladesh
- Developed a new concept of conduction of laboratory classes of yarn, fabric, textile testing courses, as per his concept the students are able to the lab works by their own hand so that individual participation is maximized.
Prof. Haque is very glad and delighted to receive the award. He express his happiness as “I have been engaged in the development of textile engineering education for a long time, the award will encourage and appreciate me to continue to work in the future”. Regarding the present scenario of textile sector of Bangladesh he feels that rather than putting more emphasis on more export, we should put emphasize on the development of quality yarns and fabric locally so that we can avoid huge import, Prof. Haque added.