According to the report “World: Pantyhose And Tights – Market Report. Analysis and Forecast to 2025”, recently published by Index Box, the amount of pantyhose imported worldwide totaled 1.3M tones in 2016, remaining constant against the previous year level. In general, pantyhose imports continue to indicate a temperate decline. The most prominent rate of growth was recorded in 2010, when imports increased by 13% from the previous year level. Global pantyhose import peaked of 1.5M tones in 2007; however, from 2008 to 2016, it failed to regain its strength.
In value terms, pantyhose imports stood at $11B in 2016. The total import value increased at an average annual rate of +2.5% over the period from 2007 to 2016; the trend pattern indicated some noticeable fluctuations in certain years. Over the period under review, global pantyhose imports attained its maximum level of $13B in 2014; however, from 2015 to 2016, it stood at a somewhat lower level.
Top Pantyhose Importing Countries in the World
1. USA (2,231.8 million USD)
2. Germany (1,018.6 million USD)
3. Japan (994.5 million USD)
4. United Kingdom (762.0 million USD)
5. France (607.4 million USD)
6. Italy (415.0 million USD)
7. Netherlands (408.3 million USD)
8. Russia (370.6 million USD)
9. China (99.0 million USD)
10. Honduras (6.6 million USD)
Pantyhose Imports by Country
China (307K tonnes), and the U.S. (206K tonnes) represented the major importers of pantyhose in 2016, resulting at approx. 24%, and 16% of total imports, respectively. The UK (87K tonnes) ranks second globally in pantyhose imports with a 7% share, following Germany (64K tonnes) and Japan (64 tonnes) which is 5% of total share. The following importers – France (37K tonnes), Russia (36K tonnes), Honduras (29K tonnes), the Netherlands (28K tonnes), and Italy (25K tonnes) together made up 12% of total imports.
From 2007 to 2016, the most notable growth rate of pantyhose imports, among the main importing countries, was attained by Russia (+13.8% per year), while the other global leaders experienced more modest paces of growth.In value terms, the U.S. ($2.2B) constitutes the largest market for imported pantyhose worldwide, making up 20% of global imports. The second position in the ranking was occupied by Germany ($1B), with the share of 9% of global imports. It was followed by Japan, with the share of 9%.
From 2007 to 2016, the average annual rate of growth in terms of value of pantyhose imports in the U.S. expanded at +3.8%. In the other countries, the average annual rates were as follows: Germany (+1.6% per year) and Japan (+4.2% per year).
Pantyhose Import Prices By Country
The average pantyhose import price stood at $8,768 per tonne in 2016, going down by -4.1% against the previous year. Over the last nine years it increased at an average annual rate of +4.5%.The pace of growth appeared the most rapid in 2008, when import price increased by 53% against the previous year level. Global pantyhose import peaked of $9,808 per tonne in 2013; however, from 2014 to 2016, it stood at a somewhat lower level.There were significant differences in the average import prices amongst major importing countries. In 2016, the country with the highest import prices was Germany ($17 per kg), while Honduras ($229 per tonne) was among the lowest.From 2007 to 2016, the most notable growth rate of pantyhose import prices was attained by China (+18.5% per year), while the other global leaders experienced more modest paces of growth.